DL EXTENDED: Call for Media Freedom Ambassadors in 2015

FREEOURMEDIA

Click to enlarge | Kindly created by http://sketchingmaniacs.com/

In the aftermath of the recent attacks on freedom of media and expression in Europe, European Youth Press launches the project “Free Our Media! Media Freedom in Europe – Limited Edition?” which maps freedom freedom and its breaches across the continent throughout the year of 2015. We are now looking for motivated Media Freedom Ambassadors to join this project!

The project focuses on the need for 100% free media as an integral ingredient to achieve pluralism and a full-fledged democracy at all levels in Europe. Through the different actions part of this project, EYP aims at raising awareness of problems and challenges that journalists and media actors are facing in their work and how this affects the Europe of today.

The main objectives of the “Free Our Media!” project are:

  1. A better understanding on the topic of media freedom in Europe (incl. related concepts, preconditions, rights attitudes, legal aspects) among young media makers, activists and young people in general;
  2. An improved overview/insight on the situation of media freedom in project countries
  3. Development of a long-term strategy, giving higher leverage to young media makers, young people and organisations to safeguard and fight for media freedom in Europe;
  4. Establishment of an online educational platform, supporting young media makers and young people in pursuing media freedom in Europe, share experiences and best practices;
  5. Creation and dissemination of an attractive and informative comic book through involvement of young cartoonists from all selected countries.

We are now looking for 15 Media Freedom Ambassadors who are based in the following countries: Poland, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, Macedonia, Montenegro, Germany, Sweden, Greece, UK, Turkey, Czech Republic, Armenia, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

This project will encompass the following activities:

  • Training in Podgorica (Montenegro) from 29.04.-03.05.2015
  • A local public consultation in each project country, organized by the selected Media Freedom Ambassador
  • Training in Berlin (Germany) from 15.-19.07.2015.

The chosen Ambassadors should be present at all activities. The Ambassador will also take main responsibility of organising the local public consultations throughout one day in May or June in their countries.

 

A Media Freedom Ambassador should:

  • have a strong background in journalism and/or media activism
  • can show previous engagement in topics related to media freedom and freedom of speech
  • is between 18 and 30 years old
  • has planning and organisational skills and previous experience in organising events
  • knows how to take initiative and to work proactively
  • wants to engage in shaping the outcomes of this project
  • is able to commit him/herself in taking part in all foreseen activities.

Please note that at this stage we are able to pay only 70 % of travel costs to the activities. We are currently looking for ways to cover these costs so that travels could be fully reimbursed. However, for now applicants should be prepared to cover the remaining 30 % of their travel costs themselves.

In order to apply to this project, please fill out the application form here. Note that part of the application consists in submitting (a link to) a recorded video of max. 2 minutes where you introduce yourself and state your motivation to become a Media Freedom Ambassador. The quality of the video will not affect the evaluation – you can also record it with any cell phone or webcam – since we are primarily looking forward to see how you express your motivation to participate. We strongly advise to record the video before starting to fill out the application.

The application closes on March 15, 2015 at 23:59 CET. For any questions related to this project or the application please write to: a.saraste@youthpress.org.

We are looking forward to receiving your application!